Thursday, December 28, 2006

Of love and lefse

Today we celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary! With both our birthdays, Christmas and our anniversary all within 5 weeks of each other, the celebrating tends to fade out by the time the anniversary arrives. I celebrated by making a batch of lefse, Paul made sushi for dinner, and then Deb offered to stay home with the boys so we could go out for dessert. Paul's been working on a new puzzle that I assured him would be a really easy one. Well, it's not so easy. I've almost given up on it already.

For those who know and care about lefse, my batch turned out satisfactorily. A little too thick and a little crispy in some spots but very very yummy. I won't even take any offense if no one in my house wants to eat it. More for me! This was not my first attempt on my own. A few years ago Charis and I made a batch as she wanted to learn how to do it so she could make it at school and tell her Socials Studies class that it was "Medieval Flatbread". Ha!

A little lefse poem for you ...

Yew tak yust ten big potatoes
Den yew boil dem til dar don,
Yew add to dis some sveet cream
And by cups it measures vun.
Den yew steal 'tree ounces of butter
And vit two fingers pench some salt,
Yew beat dis wery lightly
If it ain't gude it is your fault.
Den yew roll dis tin vit flour
An' light brown on stove yew bake,
Now call in all Scandihuvians
Tew try da fine lefse yew make!


www.lefsetime.com

6 comments:

  1. rachel,

    thanks for commenting on my blog. thought you were just another friend of a friend until i saw your family picture and remembered working at house of james with you for like, what...3 months? happy anniversary! will be stopping by now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops.......anonymous was me!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you had a delicious feast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm, I'm craving lefse....although I did get kind of sick of it after how many bajillion batches were made in my socials class. Hey, were you there when I was learning my very firstest time in Auntie Linda's kitchen? MMMM...being pregnant and talking lefse...I want instant gratification...anyone around my area Norwegian, with fresh stuff to share??

    ReplyDelete