Thursday, December 7, 2006

Tell me all your secrets

Pottytraining - Day 2

Our first success of this great endeavor came this morning when Max woke up with a dry diaper. This often happens but I gave him a little treat to celebrate. Shortly after that he did pee on the potty, more celebration. Since then, we've had many misses (why does he go 2 minutes after leaving the loo?), and I suspect a little stage fright too. I tried the kid potty but he prefers the big one. That's kind of nice as we won't have to eventually graduate from that one to the big one. I know about his little toosh, but my butt is sore from sitting there with him. Lots of singing, reading, laughing (he actually fell off the pot a few times because he was laughing so hard!) For tonight's last stint, he read "Ten Apples up on Top" to himself, in his own little way. Anyways. Mine is the same as every other mother's first potty training experience so I won't bore you with all the details.

Although neither me nor my trainee seem to be too stressed out yet, I'd love to hear your tips, tricks, secrets, bribes, successes, failures, etc.

Marty's sleeping-through-the-night streak ended at 2 nights. Sigh. Had to add prunes to his menu today.

That's all for now.

5 comments:

  1. i have no potty-training advice, so i'll skip to comment about marty.
    glad you got the two nights, but hoping he'll do it again! the prunes make them happy kids, i've discovered!!! :)hope it make marty happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are no tricks. everyone says they have tricks, but evey child is different. Dr phil has a Potty train you child in 24 hour methods. we tried that...and nothing. Rawley was a slow learner. hmm maybe 3 months and even then, there were accidents. What I found worked best Positivity and patience lots of patience!! good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, no major advice here! Kaleb started pooping and peeing in the potty early but took ages to get potty trained. Cousin Mikah started late but was trained in a few days. Each child is truly is different.

    My only advice, from my experience with my own dear son, is to wait until the real desire and motivation is there! (See my post from the summer on this: http://coastalslingmommy.blogspot.com/2006/07/potty-training-update-i-think-we-have.html)

    Just like you can't force a child to eat, it is really hard to force a child to WANT to go on the potty. Max not wanting to wear a diaper is good, as it means he wants this change. Having older potty trained friends he looks up to is also good motivation. I think finding what will motivate him is key!

    Hope it goes well for you! And that you are blessed with lots of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say wait until he wants to...but that isn't really an option for you cuz he figured out how to take his diaper off. :-P
    Have you tried having him aim at fruit loops or cheerios in the potty? That's just for "#1", but boys LOVE it...at least Mixon did. Sometimes we would just wad up TP and I would make up some story that it was a rocket ship on fire and he had to save it...you now, boy stuff...but it worked.
    Pooping on the potty successfully...did you once ask God to give you patience? Way to go, Rach.
    ;-) (jk)

    (Kelly - sis-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are having lots of fun times in the bathroom. I have fond memories of my time spent in the bathroom reading story after story with Aidan. We mostly did this sticker book that he got to move the stickers on and off over and over again. I agree with the patience thing and perseverance. Just keep at it! He'll catch on eventually and be so proud of himself. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete